Battery charger circuit using SCR.

A simple battery charger based on SCR is shown here.Here the SCR rectifies the AC mains voltage to charge the battery.When the battery connected to the charger gets discharged the battery voltage gets dropped.This inhibits the forward biasing voltage from reaching the base of the transistor Q1 through R4 and D2.This switches off the transistor.When the transistor is turned OFF,the gate of SCR (H1) gets the triggering voltage via R1 & D3.This makes the SCR to conduct and it starts to rectify the AC input voltage.The rectified voltage is given to the battery through the resistor R6(5W).This starts charging of the  battery.
When the battery is completely charged the base of Q1 gets the forward bias signal through the voltage divider circuit made of R3,R4,R5 and D2.This turns the transistor ON.When the Q1 is turned ON the trigger voltage at the gate of SCR is cut off and the SCR is turned OFF.In this condition a very small amount of charge reaches the battery via R2 and D4 for trickle charging.Since the charging voltage is only half wave rectified ,this type of charger is suitable only for slow charging.For fast charging full wave rectified charging voltage is needed.

battery-charger-circuit-using-scr.JPG

• Assemble the circuit on a good quality PCB or common board.
  • The transformer T1 can be 230V primary, 18V /3A secondary step down transformer.
  • The voltage of the battery at which the charging should stop can be set by  the POT R4.
  • The battery can be connected to the charger circuit by using crocodile clips.

258 thoughts on “Battery charger circuit using SCR.

1. Revathy

please send me more details about this project and what kind of battery will be charged by using this circuit.

2. rajagopal

respected sir,
    am very much intrested in this project..can you plss send me the circuit details along with its application.

3. Rachana

can u plz send me the design of this circuit. does this circuit charges battery of cellphone? if not what kind of battery does it charge? please reply asap.

4. JERIN RAJU

how can we replace the scr 2N3668 and diode SD50 by another one.How to charge the battery quickly by making modificattions to this circuit.kindly reply please….

• shajadi parveen

Battery charger circuit using SCR. IN THIS CIRCUIT SD50 DIODE AND SCR 2N3668 ARE NOT AVaILABLE IN MARKET.
      WHAT WILL BE THE OTHER SUITABLE DIODE&SCR FOR REPLACEMENT THIS.
      what is the voltage of the battery to be used in this circuit.
      please tell me. thanks in advance
      can i use 12v transformer?
      And can u send me a calculation and amount of voltagedrop at every resister And doide also

SD50 is a BEL (Bharat Electronics Ltd, India) bias diode which is not available any more. You can use 1N4148. For the SCR any SCR capable of 250volt PIV and 16Amps current handling capacity will do. Like BT151 2N6401 2N683 2N5206 etc

• Bharath

WHAT WILL BE THE OTHER SUITABLE DIODE&SCR FOR REPLACEMENT THIS.
      hi admin….what is the voltage of the battery to be used in this circuit.
      please tell me. thanks in advance

sir I want to know the cost of circuit .And what will be output voltage And what will be output current across battery what type of battery i have to charged and what its cost of cicuit

5. samsul

sir I want to know the cost of circuit .And what will be output voltage And what will be output current across battery wht type of battey i have to charged and what its cost

6. sanjoy

hi, i have a 1000va IPS uses 24v, 14AH battery. Now i want to change it to 24v, 70AH for long backup. so pls suggest me what type of modification i have to do it. thanks

• Dharani

please send me the voltage range of battery to be charged.also send me the relavant details of this circuit

7. wasiu adebayo

I tried my hands on this circuit but the output voltage was just 6volts pls how do I achieve a 12volt output? though I used a BT151 scr instead of the 2N3668 scr. Thanks pls enlighten me u can pls mail me.

8. nav

can i use this circuit for only charging cut on full charge,
    and get automatic on when battery get low
    can i use battery 12v,24v for circuit supply and connect relay
    of 12v or 24v/60ohms to 250ohms in output for switch. ur daddy navi

9. ganesh chettery

can i use this circuit for only charging cut on full charge,
    and get automatic on when battery get low
    can i use battery 12v,24v for circuit supply and connect relay
    of 12v or 24v/60ohms to 250ohms in output for switch.
    ganesh.

10. sikander

what changes will apply in order to charge 12v 7.0AH acid batteries.

please sent instructions or diagran on my mail ID.

• Sherwin

some says that b e junction should be used as a substitution for sd 50 what does that mean? im new to circuit building

11. KARNAN

Battery charger circuit using SCR. IN THIS CIRCUIT SD50 DIODE AND SCR 2N3668 ARE NOT AVILABLE IN MARKET.
    WHAT WILL BE THE OTHER SUITABLE DIODE&SCR FOR REPLACEMENT THIS.

SD50 is no more available from BEL, use b-e junction of BC148
      for SCR you can use any 6amps 100piv or greater SCR. Similar to T106 BT145 etc

12. dinesh

Dear sir

Please let me know how much KVA or KW of that transformer and how to connect the bridge rectifier for fast charging

Thanks&Regards

Dinesh

13. mike

sir, can this charger above charge 13.5v, 200ah and how many hours for full charge? And what can i add to this cgarger to give me full wave for full charging?

14. Chetan

i have to design a battery charger with variable input from 3-45 volt dc and out put is 15Volt DC.can any
    one tell me about it..

15. luca

ciao ho un problema cerco un proggetto di un carica batteria x ricaricare una seria di batterie che in totale erogano una tensione di 48 volt e una corrente di 25 Amp ma io su internet nn trovo nulla mi sai dare qualche dritta su qualche link da provare o se il tuo proggetto si puo modificare x avere quello che cerco .. a mi dimenticavo le batterie che devo ricaricare sn le monolitico sla 4x 12 volt 25map

16. Naresh

it is ok for +ve half of the ac suply. what about negative half .
    do it works..
    i feel we need to use retifier circuit in the begining of the circuit.

17. mbongeni john

Hi, my name is John. I would like to get some help from you. Am designing a car battery charger using an scr, i want to incorporate an LED for fully charge indication on my design.

18. Arjun Menon

Sir thank you for letting me know what battery it can charge… Can you please tell me wether the circuit needs an additional scr triggering circuit. And also can you help me with the calculations and details. my id is arjun.1feb@gmail.com

19. Arjun Menon

Does this Circuit need and additional scr triggering circuit. And what are the calculations? can you please mail then to me at arjun.1feb@gmail.com. Can someone please reply to my question. I have asked the Same a couple of times before too but no reply. Please help…

20. Seetharaman

Hi this charger is meant for charging 12 volt Lead-Acid car batteries of 30 to 40AH capacity. (not for flat battery for a partially discharged battery)

21. Prithvi

hello…..I’m gonna submit dis project.can anyone help me with dis?guys tell me what must b done n all…
    n what’s d output voltage? is it applicable to phone battery?

• Arjun Menon

it can charge upto 12v lead acid battery it can’t charge mobile batteries…. Can you please tell me if this circuit needs an additional scr triggering circuit

22. Arjun Menon

PLease someone tell me if this circuit needs an additional scr triggering circuit please help i have to submit this project

23. Arjun Menon

Please tell me if the above circuit requires an external circuit to trigger the scr. As in an additional circuit other than the above is required or not.. Please reply very important

• seetharaman

Hi Arjun this is meant to charge 12 volt Lead Acid 30 to 40AH car batteries(not for a flat battery). Can be used for charging 12vols 7AH or 10AH battery from fully dischaged condition.

• Arjun Menon

24. larry

hey plz help me i hv a project dat i mst submit a battery charger input voltage is anythng from 60V-150V and the output is 48V pls send me a circuit digram nd wat componet mst i change

25. Johnsheen

I would like to have a circuit idea with primary side of the transformer. May be with an SCR control. That will reduce the current bill and wastage of electricity.

26. Terje

Hi.
    I want to make this work for 32 volt 150AH battery with current limit to 15 amp’s charge current. Any proposals??

27. Abdalla

my email “abdallah_91@live.com” ,i hope you reply me as fast as you can,its quite urgent.thanks again.

28. Abdalla

you use 230v ac,so how about if i want to use 15-25v dc…i mean what is the changes will happens to the connections in the circuit…i hope i can see the new design for the circuit…thanks alot.

29. Seetharaman

Hi Pratima sorry i was a bit busy. tomorrow evening, you will get calculation and circuit in your email id.

• Stan

Was going through this project and liked it kindly forward to me the necessary information such as calculations if am to present it to a panel.thank you

30. Pratima

hey can u plz mail me the design for 12v 1.3AH battery.
    can u also tell me the watts of the resistors used???
    plz reply fast its urgent..

Hi Keith D1 through D4 is a must for this circuit to work. you may use your rectifier with a 12 volt 10 amp transformer and a 1ohm 10 watt resistance resistance in series for charging 12 volt car battery.

32. Keith

Hi,
    Thanks for posting this diagram. I’ve been looking for a battery charger with an adjustable output and this looks like just what I need. Also, I’ve got a 25 amp diode somewhere in my junk box and I was wondering if the circuit would work OK if I connected it to the output of the transformer and did not use diodes D1 thru D4?

33. Seetharaman

Hi Peter if it is 12volt 200AH battery. You require a 15.2 volts (adjustable to 14volt) regulated and with a current limitation of 30Amps.

34. Pratima

I want to place LED’s to indicate charging and discharging,LED on while charging and off while discharging,where can i place the LED’s???and how many LED’S?????plz reply fast….

35. Tuhin

Hi! you are doing a wonderful job. Keep it up.By the way can you help me with an automatic battery charger circuit using SCR.Thanks.

36. tayyaba

gud evng…. can you please tell me why the SD50 , BC148 , diodes 1N4001 , SCR @n3668 are used in the circuit diagram of battery charger circuit using SCR…. plz give reply to this…

37. binduram

at the load u have only mentioned battery to be charged. wat type of battery is it. lead acid battery or wat?
    and wat is the minimum voltage and current specifications of the battery

38. IHOORA MICHAEL

THANKS FOR GREAT WORK, I WOULD LIKE DO A PROJECT ON A 3-PHASE INVERTER (12V DC TO 415V A. CAN YOU HELP ME WITH A CIRCUIT?

Hi Digvijay For a 12volt 60AH lab you require a regulated current limiter power pack. voltage regulation of 14.4 volt(120% of rated voltage for storage operation)and with a current limiting at 15Amps max(25% of rated capacity). This is the battery manufacturers general recommendation.

40. JOHN

hello,

i inquire in the market for the components but not available in our place. will you help me for the substitute for the SCR, Transistor and SD50 diode on above circuit? thank you in advance…

41. Seetharaman

Hi Jacob for charging 200AH battery you require a charger capable of 50 amps for initial charging and there after around 10 to 20amps.. if only for trickling to just maintain the terminal potential against self discharge you require 10amps current, which is not available in the above circuit.
    you have to replace and upgrade almost all existing components including transformer to suit your requirements.
    Hi christy i will mail you full details soon

42. JACOB

hi sir, i posted a request on if you could help me design a 12v trickle battery charger capable of charging a 200ah battery but uptil now i’ve got no response.Please my dateline is approaching fast. Or can the circuit above handle this? Thanks

43. Christy Moodley

Hi Seetharaman,
    I really like this post,i really like the way you explain in brief when there is a question.I would like to know if i can email you my circuit which i have seen from a different website using the SCR to charge a battery.I’m a student in South Africa and you seem like the person who can help me.I want to email you this circuit,my lecturer says i can use the circuit but i have to modify it.will u help me on how to modify it?

44. Seetharaman

Hi Rajesh the same circuit appeared earlier in Circuitstoday can be used. set the limits as per your reqirement with the preset pots. The relay used is a power relay with 35 amps contact rating. It can easily handle upto 7500VA.

45. rajesh

it is very useful circuits can u send me a three phase autochange circuit diagramme with high watt (input volt180-240 and watt is 5000va plz send me my mail ………….. thanks

46. Seetharaman

Hi Anil this is suitable for LED Acid or Led acid gel sealed batteries which require constant voltage charge. not suitable for Ni cad or Ni-MH as they require constant current.
    For 12V 7AH battery, ensure that you do not exceed 30% of the rated current of the battery for charging and terminal voltage not greater than 13.8volt for cycle use, that is 2Amps.

47. Seetharaman

Hi Belajar This can be used for a car battery trickle charging. (12volt 40AH. Full cycle Charge 12 volt 10AH battery.

48. Seetharaman

Hi Subarna 12volt 88Amp battery can be charged with a maximum of 30% of 88Amps. That is 25 amps. and tricle charging can be around 8 to 10% of rated current. Butcharging voltage to be limitted to 13.8 volt. so design a power pack with 13.8 volts with 25amps limitting current. or assemble a tricle charger that is 13.8 volt regulated with 8 amps current limit.

49. SUBARNA SEKHAR DAS

sir kindly u talk me plz?my battary is -12v 88AH exid express/i want to make treacle charger/how to make it and what is the circuit? as soon as possible-[subarnasekhare_das@yahoo.com]

50. Seetharaman

Hi Sundeep you can charge any 12 volt lead acid battery up to 30AH capacity. For batteries of less than 7AH capacity increase R6 to higher value to take care not to exceed 30% of the rated capacity of the battery.

51. nichupin

hello can someone tell me what i am going to revise or change in the circuit if i want to charge a 6V battery?? kindly reply asap..thank you so much

52. Seetharaman

Hi Jim kindly go through the following site it will give you useful information on charging the battery. for SMF voltage is the criteria and you should never exceed charging current even on rapid charge mode > 30% of the rated capacity of the battery.

53. Seetharaman

Hi Jim Chargers are available in the market for 4 X SMF batteries (56 volts with different max current ratings). you have to connect the batteries and series and use the charger,(Provided all the batteries are at the same condition.

54. Seetharaman

Hi Jim Jimenez this will charge 12volt battery only. you may have to use 4 nos to charge each of them independantly. or you have to redesign for 48volt.
    Hi Jr Panchal you can use the same circuit for charging 10amp battery also.

55. Jim Jimenez

Hello, I have a 4 battery in series to have a 48volt, I use them for my back-up will this work as charger and will be automatic on & off. Thanks..

Jimmy

56. Maz_dhono

Dear Someone,
    If I will give Led for Indicator Lamp
    During Charging with Green Led & After Full Charging with
    Red Led. Where I Can Place This Led ? and how value off
    Resistor can I use ?
    Thank’s for All your Attention.

57. patrick vaz

HI Seetharaman, IS there a possibility of adding a toggle switch for 6 and 12 volts charging and toggle switch for slow and fast charging in this circuit.
    thanks a lot

Hi Lian This charger can be used for 12volts 7AH to 20AH batteries.
    Hi Marron R2 D4 is for ripple charging for topping up. D1 D2 Q1 is for stopping the charging current the diodes are used for sharp switching and isolation. D3 is for protecting SCR gate cathode junction against reverse bias during Q1 conduction.

59. lian

hi guys!….what is the voltage of the battery to be charged in this circuit?i hope for a reply guys….tanx in advance

60. nurudeen

I need 12v lead acid battery charger with low bat and full indication and adjustable charging current

61. V Krishna Swamy

This is the first time i am visiting this site. Its really very interesting where our doubts are answered. Great. I would like to have a circuit for making a home brew Inverter 1000 VA. Simple and effective. I am a HAM and know comething about electronics.

Looking farward to hearing from you

Kind regards,
    VK

62. Me

Hi is there some one tell me how can I assemble a lithium battery charge? so much thanks for your help.
    best regards Me.

Hi Robert Connect the secondary of the transformer to a bridge rectifier and then feed it the SCR circuit

64. Robert

Hi I like this circuit and want to build one. I need help understanding how to fully rectify the voltage. Any help for this hobbyist?

65. marinus

Dear someone.I am looking for a 12v sealed lead acid battery charger circuit, the battery must operate leds ,and when the battery goes below 10volt, switches off automatically, it must now be charged again to its full capacity, and so on and so on.
    Looking forward in hearing from anyone, thanks a lot. Regards.
    Marinus

Hi Vinu what is the battery voltage and AH rating. If it is lead acid battery the charging voltge should be regulated at 115% of the rated voltage of the battery. the current limit should be 25% to 30% of the rated capacity of the battery. These are the safe limits as recommended by the battery manufacturers.

67. vinu

i have a inverter , the charging method is not good,for current limitting capacitor is used ,so the fixed cuurent is going to the battery, so battery not fully charged,any circuit for current limiting instad of using capacitor,

the transformer voltage is 0v-160v -230v
    i need charger like when the battery voltage increase the current will low,and the battery voltage low the current is high , current rating is 5A to 10A,any circuit for this.

Hi Kim you are right if the charger is off and only the battery is connected the wrong way. once you switch on the charger the fuse will blow due to battery voltage and charger voltage appearing across R6 Diode and resistance. I agree the diode is ultimately not going to serve any special purpose.
    battery will not get over charged once the terminal voltage of the battery reaches the rated voltage of 13.6volt. the diode anode voltage will be more by 0.7 volt, you adjust the pot in such a way the terminal voltage at the battery including the diode is limitted to 13.6volt.
    the other solution to protect battery reversal will be connect a 6Amp diode, anode to negative and cathode to R1 f1 Junction. If you reverse the battery the fuse will blow indicating the problem.
    with the existing circuit if you reverse the battery and connect. battery voltage in series with charging voltage will appear across R6 and fuse, a very high current will flow, which will blow the fuse. Without R6 the entire voltage will appear across the thyrister the current will shoot up and it may blow the thyrister before the fuse.

69. Kim Hessel

Nice circuit! To those who wants to put a diode to protect againt reverse battery polarity pls note you CANNOT put it between r6 and f1 or the charging will never stop and the battery will overcharge! putting it on the transformer secondary by pin #15 is ok but has no use! You cannot prevent current from flowing back into the resistor voltage divider network (r3 & r4 & r5) or the battery will start charging again, but you only loose very little power/current (about 12 mA)

70. Edgardo Diolola

Dear Admin/Seetharaman,
    Thank you very much for the informations i got.
    More power to you.

Hi Anil You can communicate me your exact requirement whether a relay should switch of thyristor to be turned off etc to me seethasub@hotmail.com i will send you a detailed circuit it will be mostly based on “High & Low voltage cut-off with delay& alarm” appeared on Circuits today. very useful circuit idea for so many applications.

72. Anil.A

Respected All,
    I am doing the automatic 120V Battery charger circuit. For that I need 140V reader circuit. If the Battery Max voltage reaches at 140V it should turn off the charging from the AC supply.
    Kindly requesting please give solution as much as possible.

Hi Nilesh Sharma If the thyrister is going to get shorted, first the fuse will blow immedeately due high current flow, if the fuse has not failed then the protective resistance R6 will be charred. So nothing will hapen to the battery.
    Hi Edgardo you can use any NPN small signal transistor with Vceo 30 volts Ic max 300mA and Ptot 300mw and a hfe of aroung 150 at 50mA. SD 50 can be any 5volt 400mw zener diode, For the scr what you have got requires a gate trigger current of 30mA it will work as it is if not reduce R1 to 270 ohms

74. EDGARDO DIOLOLA

I have available SCR’s two pcs., #NTE 5545 , can I use this SCR as substitute for 2N3668? of course I will replace the transformer of higher current, same voltage output.
    What substitutes for BC 148 and SD 50?
    Can I have a working circuit for DC motor Speed control using my available NTE 5545 SCR’s of readily available electronic parts in electronics store? Other part numbers are not available here in my country-Philippines.

Hi Sameh if you are going to use the transformer available with you, yes with a flat battery (which is not supposed to be used with this type of chargers)it may reach 5amp charge current and ofcourse fall down as the voltage builds up in the battery. You may increase R6 to higher value say 2.2 ohms 25watts to take care of it.
    You can connect an LED in series with 3.3K 1/2 watt resistance & one no. 1N4001 diode, between R1 D1 junction to ‘0’ of the transformer.

76. sameh

and i want to put indication led ; to know if the battery in charging mode or not (if battery charging the LED On , if the battery complete the LED Off )?

77. Victor Sedere

This is subject is interesting.
    I like to assemble a battery pulse charger for 12V lead acid batteries with 40…100Ah to prolong lifetime.
    Is it possible to find a good circuit diagram with component list?
    Thank you.
    Victor

Hi Sameh even if it is full wave rectifier instead of 50Hz ripple it will be 100Hz ripple (a full wave rectifier is a frequency doubler)it will get switched of when ever the wave form reaches zero (100 times in a second) so you can go ahead.

79. sameh

ok ok this in case of half wave only …
    but in case of full wave … if i’ll used bridge.. not suitable ,,right?

srry for many quest .. but i search for practical circuit for my graduated project.

Hi Sameh the rectified dc is not smoothed with capacitor, hence it will be a pure full wave rectified pulslating DC. so the SCR will gets switched off when ever the supply voltage falls to Zero during every cycle. aging it will get triggered etc. once the terminal voltage reaches the full voltage through R2 & D4 the battery will get topped up at the rate 300mA peak current ripple charging.(trickling)

81. sameh

Hi seetharaman ,but the scr cant stop after trigger unless the anode of the scr is zero volt ,right?

if the scr always on after first trigger <<<<>>>?

Hi Sameh you can use your battery, this circuit suits well. with 12 volt transformer your peak voltage will be 16.8 volt should be just sufficient. the maximum current requirement is 30% of rated capacity that is 2amps, you can go ahead.

83. sameh

thank you for your useful reply..

i have another question plz >>>

i have lead acid battery 12 volt and 7 ampere is this circuit suitable for this battery.

(i have transformer 12 volt — 5 ampere )

Hi Sameh You can connect the transformer secondary to a suitable bridge rectifier and positive of bridge rectifier to SCR anode and negative to emitter line of Q1 connecting to battery negative. The battery will get the charging current when ever its terminal voltage falls below the set voltage (say 13.6volts). R6 is the current limitter. A flat battery cannot be charged with type of chargers, the minimum continuous rating of the charger should be 30% of the rated capacity of the battery.

85. sameh

is this circuit begin to charge if and only if the battery is empty == (no voltage output from battery == zero volt).

or begin to charge if the battery get lower than 12volt (if this battery get 12 volt).

Hi Tutul you can use this circuit for your emergency light application upto 12 Volt 7 Amps battery. set for 13.8 Volt as charge cut off voltage. You can use for routine charge. This charger is designed as a ripple charges without any filter circuit. So it can activate and charge slightly aged battery also. you cannot charge a dud or a flat battery.

87. TUTUL

hi…..
    do i used this circuit in stand-dy battery charging and emerjency lighting ……………..
    please reply ……………..

Hi RJ just to indicate few thyristor application, it can be used in inverters. In high current variable voltage DC power supplies to limit the dissipation in the series pass transistors. In high voltage regulated power supplies. as a static high current switch as they require only very low gate switching current. disadvantages are load current should not be less than the minimum holding current of the thyristor. in DC circuit for switching off the thyristor additional circuit is required. cannot be used for high frequency switching application.

hi twits4twats the other reason for the diode blocking is if the battery is left in circuit and if the charger power goes off the resistance chain will not drain the battery.

90. IFTIKHAR

good circuit in fact i was looking for a circuit of this type.i want the LED voltmeter for dc volts. thanks.i will be gratefull if somebody should help me.

91. twits4twats

To protect the charger electronics from accidental reversing of battery polarity kindly add 1N5404 diode between R6 and F1 anode to R6.

Seetharaman
    Polarity reversal protection is a good idea although not essential. Place the diode between the number 15 on the transformer and before any other components.

92. Seetharaman

93. SACHIN SINGLA

Can you send me the equivalent numbers for the following:
    1. SCR, 2N3668
    2. DIODE, SD 50 ( can i use in4001 instead?)
    TRANSISTOR, BC 148.

94. kisholoy

I will be doing this project in my 4th year EE course. I want to ask what are the first things that i should procure for kicking off the project. Also, it is a 20 watt bulb that has to be connected across the battery terminals. For that, what necessary modifications need to made?

95. bindu

hey this circuit is used 4 which type of battery i mean 4 a car baterry or invertor baterry of cell etc……………n upto which volt???

96. Afif Khan

I am in need of circuit that when i charge my 12V car battery and when it is fully charged the circuit should discontinue the chargeing and should inform through beep or LED blinking.

I will be greatful for helping me out of this problem.

Thanks.
    Afif Khan.

97. edgardo diolola

i am working here in kuwait.
    I have problem buying electronic parts here, since i came 5 years ago, this country has no enough electronic parts on stock.
    Can you send me the equivalent numbers for the following:
    1. SCR, 2N3668
    2. DIODE, SD 50 ( can i use in4001 instead?)
    TRANSISTOR, BC 148.

Thanks, and this site is very helpful to me, and helped a lot on my job as maintenance supervisor for food machineries….

Best regards,,