Battery charging indicator circuit

This simple circuit can be used to monitor whether a battery is charging or not. The voltage comparator IC LM393 is the heart of this circuit. The LED D1 will remain ON whenever there is at least 25 milli ampere current flowing to the battery. This particular circuit is designed for a 12V battery with charging current less than 1A.By slightly modifying the component values, the charging current and voltage can be modified.

battery-charging-indicator-circuit

• Assemble the circuit on a good quality PCB.
  • The IC1 must be mounted on a holder.
  • Do not use this circuit with batteries has more than 1A charging current.

30 thoughts on “Battery charging indicator circuit

1. faseeh janjua

sir I want to build this circuit for 3.7 volt mobile bettry…plz tell me how I change this circut for 3.7 volt….??

2. Vijay Kumar

sir i had noticed your ckt diagram of battery charging indicator for12V 1Amp.my question is how to identify which components is used to replace the existing component for 12V 7Amp charging.

3. bashir ahmad

Dear sir, is it right to use 1N5822 diode instead of the one you have mentioned in your circuit (i.e1N5819). I am using 6v 4.5ah SLA battery, will this circuit stop charging at 6.9v or 7.00v. i have used 220k for R1 and when the LED will go off, in this case it should go off at voltage level of 6.9v or 7v. But i am doubtfull sir that it will not go off. please explain …..

Dear Bashir the indication will go off, when the charging current falls below 25mA. 1N5819 rated for 1 amp, will do but you can use the 3 Amp rating 1N5822 also. This circuit does not sense the voltage level of the battery. for a proper cut off use a voltage regulated power supply between 6.9 to 7 volt with a charging capability of 1 amp.

4. Richard

I have a unit that charges at only 10 to 20 ma and I am using a 16 volt power supply to charge the batteries (10 AAs).

Could you tell me which components I would adjust to handle this lower charging current and higher voltage?

5. Leona

can u please help us with the block diagram of battery level indicator using Lm3914.
    Can u help us with schematic diagram of the circuit.
    hoping you’ll reply soon.

6. Fahmi

hi, please help me. if i want to use this circuit for the current more than 1 ampere (example 3 ampere). what can i change?

7. KUMARA

I WANT TO MAKE BATTERY CHARGER WITH LAMP CONNECTED CKT. ALL COMPONETS & AMPS RATING AND APPARATUS REQUIRED FRO THIS.
    PLS HELP ME

8. Ebenezer

Pls what is D1 in these charge indicator stand for? Is it zener or ordinary diode.And if it is zener,what is its voltage rating?

9. sugiman

sorry, i still ununderstand with the formula. can you tell me the R on lm3914 schem which have to change and with which one? it for 4v/1000mA batt. sorry, i have too much quest, i just a rookie. thanks

Hi Sugiman this can be used with any battery up to 30 volts. you can set the current such that it show up to trickle level or it can indicate just whenever the battery is connected for charging (called mandatory charge indicator) please go through my 19th July comment for calculation to use with other battery voltages.

11. sugiman

ok tq mr. seetharaman. i’ll try to find the ic here. i on indonesia country. but, i have 2 more question. is the circuit will display the power status and charging stat until it full? and is it work for 4 v batt? thaks,

Hi Sugiman you can use LM3914 10 segment level display. you can use rectangular different colour LEDs to indicate the appropriate battery level.

13. sugiman

any body, can u tell me about batery indicator, which the display like a batery indicator on screen on cellphone(like nokia). its 4 or 6 bar strips and while charging, leds shown the level until full all lighting. tq

14. praveena

thank you sir!i m trying to build this circuit i will definitely consult u again if i got any doubts on it

Hi Praveena PD across R2 is 12 X (2.2/1000) that is 26.4mV. to get the same mV across 1 ohm you have to flow 26.4mA. if you reduce the battery voltage to 6volt 4.5AH the current for trickle is approx 45mA. hence 60mA is preferred value hence 60 X1 = 60mV. 60mV across 2.2K hence for 6 volt it is 220k. (switching off of LED indicates battery is fully charged. if you want still indication even the charge is than trickle use say 25mA. then 25mV across 2.2K for 6volt. 528K nearby preferred value is 510K.

16. praveena

hellow mr.seetharaman will you please elaborate me what is the actual calculation for it through which u r saying reduce R1 to 220k ohms

17. Jack

What are calculations or values for 3, 4.5 or 6 volt batteries? I mean values for R1 to R4. I believe R5 would stay the same. Why must we use 25 ma for min charge current?

I am assuming this works without regard to battery(NiCad, NiMH or LiIon) type except they must be the rechargeable type?