Embedded Systems Career-An Outline

Many students are not aware of the lucrative opportunities available in the field of Embedded Systems. Most graduates go after the popular “IT” industry to seek a good career. I think there are 2 reasons for this 1)lack of awareness 2) entry barrier. While studying most students may come across the name “Embedded Systems”. Apart from that they may not be aware of -”what is an embedded system”, how do they work, what knowledge and skills should be acquired to build a great career in the field of embedded systems, which companies are working in this field etc etc. If it is in the case of computer science – the industry is readily known – the lucrative IT industry. The leading companies are Microsoft,Google,Adobe (product based) and there are many smaller and medium ones. There are service based IT firms like Wipro, Infosys, Accenture,Cognizant etc. Knowledge and skills required is mainly about programming languages and technologies – like Java, Asp.net, C & C++, Python, Php etc etc.. the list goes on. Entry barrier to the IT industry is very low. Any fresher with a basic skill and knowledge can get a job in this IT industry and that too with a decent entry level salary (well, that’s not the case always!!)

embedded systems career

When it comes to Embedded systems – do you know who all are the leading players in this industry? Let’s have a look.

Samsung – They make mobile phones and gadgets, consumer electronics like washing machine, microwave oven, television, air conditioners etc. You must know that there are “n” number of competitors for Samsung who make similar products. All these products has embedded systems – with its own hardware and software.  For example:- In an air conditioner functions like – ‘intelligent room temperature control’ will be controlled by the embedded device inside the air conditioner. This embedded device will be made of a microcontroller, its associated hardware and software for intelligent temperature sensing

Siemens – They make products in the field of medical electronics and automation industry.The products will be scanner, doppler, cardiograph machines, radiology machines etc etc.. its a big list.

Bosch – They make products for automotive industry.

I just mentioned 3 companies serving 3 different industries. There are thousands of other companies in the field of embedded systems – offering various kinds of services, consultation and product building.

Now we got an idea of companies that can offer a job in embedded systems. Now lets take a look at who all can opt for a career in embedded systems. The basic requirements will be a graduation/post graduation in electronics. There are many such courses offered by various kinds of universities. I will say, easy entry is for engineering degree holders in different streams of Electronics engineering – like Electrical and electronics, Electronics and communication, Electronics and instrumentation etc.  Other degree holders in electronics like Bachelor of Science (Electronics as main), Master of Science (Electronics) as main can also opt for a career in Embedded systems.

Knowledge and skills  required in these areas are-  Good knowledge in theory and practical of one or two micro controllers like PIC, 8051, or AVR etc. Deep and sound knowledge in programming language C – especially embedded C. Knowledge in these 2 areas will help you to get an entry level job in the field of embedded systems. The real “learning curve” will only start at your first job – where you will deal with real issues and problem solving methods.  After gaining much experience from the first job (may be a 2 years) you can always switch to big companies.

The trend we see here in India is, freshers will boost their knowledge in these areas – especially in controllers and C programming by taking a good training after their graduation. The reason is an “outdated” and inefficient curriculum used by many universities in India. Even in an engineering course, there is only a single paper about microcontrollers. Most fresh graduates are unemployable in Embedded systems (unless some mavericks build their own way up learning all themselves).  To supplement this, fresh graduates take 3 or 6 months additional training. This will help them to land at an entry level job, usually in a medium level company. They gain more knowledge at this job and later switch  to bigger ones like Bosch, Samsung etc.

The first job you take will have a very high influence on your career. Example:- An employee working with a “Consulting type” company is likely to work his career in that direction. Where as a “Product based” company is a little different and they function in an entirely different way than a “Consulting company”. So be aware of your first job – what you learn there will decide the way your career is headed!

Hope this was helpful to you! Any questions ? Comment here!

119 Responses to “Embedded Systems Career-An Outline”

• C Sai Prasad says:

Firstly thanks for giving us a valuable information about embedded system and this information is very useful to everyone and to me.

• Aswanth says:

Thankyou Sir. This was very helpfull. Please continue in posting related to Embedded Career.

• masum says:

sir … i have completed my BE-EC from SVIT,Vasad
    now i have qualified nongate exam with 10th rank
    i can get admission in embedded system and communication both
    but i want to know in which line i get more job opportunity ??

• Abinash Mohanty says:

can anybody guide me how to get companies in embedded robotics & automation..
    i have completed B.TECH in ECE in 2014, and also completed 6month embedded robotics & automation course..
    please help me..

• raj says:

Hello sir…..I had completed B.E. ECE…..How can i choose my first company to opt myself into embedded system in future…………..Is it a little company with embedded basis???? Pls help me…….

• sai says:

hai .. i completed my b.tech in ece ..and i got 65%percent and inter 87 and tenth 77 ….i am intrested to opt embedded systems training …..is it good to place and for my future ….i am intrested to join in vector for training …..is it good or ?

• gopinath says:

hello sir

I am gopinath completed B.E in elactronics. I am very eager to work on embedded field. give me suggestion and you ideas. Currently i am in chennai.How to enter a embedded field

• likitha says:

Dear Sir,
    I have completed my B.Tech ECE in 2012 with 70% aggregate. Am interested in doing the job in Embedded company so i have done Embedded course in Vector india but still i didn’t get the job now its almost two years i have waited for entering into embedded industry as their is a gap of two years what is the chance of getting the opportunities in embedded company and give me the solution how to cover the 2 years gap in knowledgewise

• khaja says:

hi this is khaja nd passout of 2013 nd want to join in vector so whats ur opinion on vector institute as you hae taken coaching over their so please reply me as i have already wasted 1 year

• gourav says:

sir i am placed in tcs on campus placement.but due to my keen interest…want to opt embedded as my career as i have made many embedded projects in my b.tech..now should i go to tcs and earn money easily as it is easy to have good pkg in it companies in short span of time or should go to cdac course and take placement from dere..my academic records are good….in short is future in embedded sys secure so that i leave tcs ???

• SURAJ GHAWALI says:

Dear sir,
    im suraj. i recently complete my Msc degrree in electonics(processors and controllers).i have 3 years experience in small industry where i done small embeddeed based projects. right now i want to go ahead in mnc embedded industry plz give me suggesion .what are career opportunitis in in mnc in mumbai ,thane, pune

• CHANDAN BHUYAN says:

HELLO SIR

This is chandan bhuyan , i have a 2nd class carrier can i wii get a job in embedded system please sir suggesr me.

• kavutham says:

Sir i want to start a new company or industry based on embedded system can you give me some guidelines and what will be me output product. and how much of investment should i pay for it.

• Ankit Vaghasiya says:

Hello Kavutham
      I hv also have same kind of question, is it possible to open own bussiness based on embedded? Plz guide me abt product.

• Srinidhi MS says:

Dear Sir,

This is srinidhi ms,I am bit confusion on my carrier path,i had joined a small scale industry after complition of my BE in E&C . But here i am working as an Embedded Black Box testing Engineer and Application Engineer. After 8 months i resigned my job and came out. But after that i am bit confusing and i joined Embedded system course.Again i got one more job as an Application engineer, but sir this is an distributor company. Here we are not doing any design or development.By mistake i joined here and one more reason is recession start on the same time.But now i am really tensioned about my future here.can you please guide me.How to built my carrier.

Thanks & Regads
    Srinidhi MS

• anusha says:

I am thinking to join in cdac for embedded systems course….I have got 81.3percentage in graduation
    93.9 in intermediate
    90.5 in ssc
    I have also good communication skill….but I am frequently loosing all my campus interviews ….I am planning to enter this cdac and make my carrer to enter in embedded ……how it will be ….can anybody give suggestion

I am highly disappointed about the shortlisting of those it companies in a worste manner…….without taking meritstudent…..I hate that field ……..so I am planning to enter this embedded feild

• kavutham says:

then study c lang, embedded , embedded c, pic …. your future will be good

• Ankit Vaghasiya says:

Hi, Anusha
      I wanna know and inquiry about CDAC training, plz help me
      Is cdac embedded training is worthy ? And wt about placement commitment there? Plz

• sachin shrivastava says:

Dear sir,
    i completed my B.E. in 2009 from ECE after it in oct.2009 i joined an industry as a service Engg in electronic field. after it in 2012 i had to leave that job due to some family problems and tried for GATE for 2 years but i couldn’t get success. now after having 2 years gap may i get entry in embedded system field ?
    pls reply me what i should do in this situation .
    i know 8051 and Keil “c”.
    regards & thnks
    sachin shrivastava

• megha says:

Hello there!

I have done BSc in computer science and MSc in Physics & Electronics. I am interested in coding and electronics as well. That’s why I want to do something in Embedded Systems. Would you suggest me to do M.Tech. from India or from abroad? And which institute.

Many thanks for this post.

• mallikarjun says:

Wow nice guidelines to the freshers

• Prarthana says:

I completed diploma in EC at 2012. And I am very much interested to learn PLC. Basicaly i m middle slass family so there is a need of money and want to do job. Please Suggest me whether any organization in banglore wl give certified training along with minimum amount of salary….. Please help me…

• Usha Madhuri says:

Hi,
    I am an ECE graduate passed out in 2013. presently,working as embedded developer in Tech mahindra from few months. I am in learning stage right now. working on MSP430 microcontrollers.Can you please suggest me the areas in which areas I should be strong and boost up my skills to be a good embedded engineer.

• bhargavi says:

hi,i completed my graduation with ece branch,and after that i finished the embedded systems course in vector institute for 6 months.but i didn’t place
    any es based company..please suggest me the ways to get job on es

• Giri says:

Hi …i also want to do embedded systems course in vector India….pls tell it is having Good placement or not.

• nandini says:

I am mtech in DSP branch.. i wanna start my carrer in electronics field only.but being fresher i am not getting any job..is it required to do additional embedded course.. is there good oppurtunity after doing the course? what is the mininum % criteria??

• Darshan says:

hi,comlpet my B.E in 2014 i have very interested to started my own company in emmbeded system amd vlsi..i am very good skill about electronics..

how to start and what type of servecing we will give to the company..
    can u pls suggest me..

• Amar says:

Hello Sir
    I’m student of final year ece! even i have basic knowledge in theory and practical of 8051 & avr…sometimes i’m confused about what is best for my career..just b’coz of programing…:-(
    pls guide me how to deal with it

• Vipul says:

Hello sir. I am doing my b.tech from ip university, hmr college.i am 3rd student. Our college providing us a value added program for students. We have to choose one from embedded c and matlab. Pls suggent me which one is better and have better scope in future. Thankx

• mahesh says:

I have Btech ECE 2013 degree with 60 % honors from JNTU university .
    I want to make my career in Core electronics .
    how to proceed pls give a sugistion sir.

• Sakshi says:

Hi, I have 2 years exp in networking. But I am willing to switch my career in Embedded systems. Is this good decision to switch my career?. Please suggest. I am toatlly confused. Pls suggest

• kulwinder says:

I have Btech ECE 2013 degree with 75 % honors from KUK university .
    I want to make my career in Core electronics as i feel electronics as something i am very good . I know 8051 , PIC microcontrollers and even AVRs to some extend as all of them seems to work on same basics with different configurations and architectures but almost same .
    But the problem is lack of experience and i am totally confused What to do :( . PLease give me some hope … Which company should i go for ?

• murthy says:

sir i dont have a 1st class in my b.tech.any chance to get a job in embedded system

• harsha deshmukh says:

what to do after B.E to make carrier in embedded system mtech or some diploma course or is there any other option

• shivam pagare says:

thanks for the info. :)

• vani shree says:

thank u very much 2 publish this.and for t embedded systm programming language ‘c’ is enough??????or else??? plz send t reply

• Gokul says:

Hey,
    Thank You..giving me such a brief intro about..wat embedded engineering and its future…i guess its valuable…i had a clear view on wat actually Embedded Career is!!!!
    Thanks again!!!!

• prince says:

Hello sir,
    i am persuing b-tech ece final year,i am tottaly confused about 6th month training(embedded system).sir please suggest me where i can do training and also give me list of embedded based companies in india (speccial bangalore)

• Rohit says:

Hello sir i m rohit sharma, irecently completed my m.tech in vlsi design from CDAC mohali but not getting job. i m thinking about embedded course. Can i get the job because M.Tech in VLSI Design. Plz suggest me i m very confused.

• I have completed in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Overall experience after the educational curriculum is One Year in Relay Unit Assembly, Settings & Testing in ALSTOM Grid. If you find any opportunity, could
    you please let me know?
    With Regards
    Sivasudalai.R

• Nasir Khan says:

Hi. who ever you are but i wanted to thank you because you provided me with that basic knowledge that i was looking for now-a-days because my engineering degree is about 1 year more. at the time it is enough and when i would have some question, i would must ask you!

Thank you!

• akhil says:

sir,
    i am btec 2013 passed out fresher ECE.i am planning to do a course sine i dnt get any placements.there are two options 1)pg diploma in embedded sm in NIELIT calicut 2)IT Propel Training in Technopark.i am confused to chose bw these.will u help me?
    i hav more likeness towards programming

• dickson leon says:

Sir i am 3rd year ece student .In my syllabus not much concepts are given about embedded system .shall I want to learn any separate course for embedded system to gain knowledge in it .please suggest me sir

• sravan says:

Hi… i’m Working as a software developer have 3yrs of exp. I want to switch to testing in embedded domain. Need guidelines please suggest.

• vimal aditya says:

thanku for the valuble information sir,am frm hyderabad,i just completed my 12th and going to enter engineering life….in engineering course which department is best for embedded systems i mean ,should i take ECE or EEE or EIE??? though am interested in EIE

• Sagar says:

Sir..
    I am an engg student in banglore now in final year
    i am in ec department but one disadvantage is i
    got year back for 2years,but in the real i like
    to switch on to embeded system….is that suitable
    for me plz help anyone……….

• yash says:

hi sir! i wanna ask that what all colleges do provide such education….i want to learn about embedded systems o is there any course about this….

• deepak avs says:

really good one !

• fairaz says:

hello sir,i am from srilanka and i am doing my advance level in the field of commerce.my subjects were accounting,economics and information communication technology.but i would like to go in a engineering field so i thought of doing embedded system engineering.could i be able to choose this if so what i sholu do from the beginning,what are the courses do i want to follow,coz i dont have any knowledge of ohysics,mathematics etc.please guide me

• Sukanya says:

Hello sir,
    The information you provided proves to be quite useful….
    I’m pursuing diploma(polytechnic) 2nd year in embedded systems…
    Is their a career opportunities in the field of embedded for diploma holders….?
    If not what are the further qualifications which i need to achieve?
    Your reply is very crucial to me sir

• Vidhya Chougule says:

Sir…
    It was really helpfull for me.
    After graduation which courses I have to do to be good in Embedded systems?
    &where to join for this?Will you suggest me?

• harvindar pal says:

is there any scope for mca students to make their carrier in embedded systems

• sonu kumar says:

i want to join your education system

• AS says:

sir thanks for the information….
    I have good knowledge of embedded C and micro controller and did my 7th sem internship from HPES and got A grade but still i did not get any job interview…

• Deepak says:

Hello Sir,
    Is their a career opportunities in the field of embedded for diploma holders….?
    Pls suggest me……

• sunil says:

hi,
      i am pursuing m.tech 1st year in embedded systems. can you tell me the best embedded company’s.
      is there any embedded company’s provide some internships.

• ASHAR says:

hey thank u very much..I am pursuing my engineering final year from ECE..and also i was planning for masters in embedded systems.. i love the way of your guidance.. if possible could u pls guide me with good colleges for M.tech/M.E in embedded systems that provide good apparatus for students to work on practicals. as we all know that Indian pattern is based on theory so it wud b better to go in a good college for deep knowledge in this field.. once again thanx

• Nikhil Misal says:

Hi i am currently working in power electronics engineering from last 4 months can switch my career to embedded system from power electronics please reply

• mallikarjun says:

Sir i am going to join in cdac for diploma in embedded systems…… Is this is the good institution or not… and how the opportunities after completion of this course..

• Jyothi says:

Hello sir,

The information that you are providing is really excellent and thank u very much sir. I am Jyothi studying B.Tech 3rd year ECE,2nd sem. I am very much interested in embedded systems. Now in our curricula 8085, 8051 and about ARM and SPI are there. In this article u said we should build our own way to learn about micro controllers other than curricula. So do I need to learn anything else in this semister other than curricula for better knowledge in embedded systems. Please suggest me sir…….

• Varun Dubey says:

I have completed Engineering in EC and am currently working with Service based MNC which is also sponsoring me with my MS in Embedded Systems from a very reputed Institute(BITS Pilani).Request you to let me know what are the languages that I can work on (I am pretty good with C and CPP concepts) and also what are the opportunituies that I am gonna get as after the successful completion of the course I will be 3.5 yrs experienced with IT industry but will still be a fresher in Embedded systems.
    Subjects that I have to study with the course are:
    Computer Networks
    Software for Embedded Systems
    Data Storage Technologies & Networks
    Embedded System Design
    Network Security
    Wireless & Mobile Communication
    Pervasive Computing
    Real-Time Systems
    Digital Signal Processing
    Fault Tolerant System Design
    Hardware Software Co-Design
    Networked Embedded Applications

Please drop an email:varun89ubey@gmail.com with your valuable comments or suggestions.
    Quick response of yours will definitely help me to make a valuable & Correct descision.Thanks in advance.

• Archie says:

Hello Sir…I m pursuing M.Sc in EC and my last sem is going on….i had learned VLSI as an subject in my third semester…but ryt now m confused between Embedded or choose VLSI…n yup my graduation in IT…m knowing java,C language,C++,.net n all…as had learned all this languages during graduation..Sir will u please suggest which is better option for me going for VLSI or embedded???n yup m planing for having six months training in either of this after M.Sc at Bangalore…

• pradeep says:

hai iam pradeep studying final year btech in the stream of electronics and communications, and i have a knowledge on 8051 and 8086 and 8085 processors and controllers, but iam poor in programming languages like embedded C and advanced C and C++, so what type of decision should i take to enter into the embedded systems.

suggest me with your answer

• Shreya says:

Hello,
    The information you provided proves to be quite useful.I wanted to know that does the place or the name of company or the institute on the certificate matters?you suggested some long term courses in Banglore. . Will it be good if I do them in eastern India?Do you know of any good institutes or is Banglore the only choice for good training?

• trinath says:

sir my name is trinath am from b.tech(e.c.e) branch and nw i completed my first year in embedded systems specallization…my aim is to get a good job ib big embedded system based company like samsung nt only now bt in future bcz am fresher now…so what i have to do in this project time i.e 2nr yr in m.tech to reach my goal????

• bicard says:

Hello,

We are providing the course PG Diploma in Automotive Embedded Systems Design. The aim of the training is to fulfill the gap between the academic training and industry expectations from embedded manpower.

The course is affiliated through TCIL(Telecommunication Corp. India Ltd.)

Course Structure:

Course Name : PG Diploma in Automotive Embedded Systems
      Duration : 6 Months (Full Time) (Weekly Batch)
      Fees : 60,000/-Rs
      Training Highlights :

C,Orientation for the Automotive Mechanics,control systems
      Automotive Sensors and transducers
      Automotive controllers: 16 bit controllers like MSP430, HCS12 series and 32 bit series like C2000 series.
      RTOS – µCos-II, Vx-Works
      Protocols – CAN, LIN, FlexRay and all the other technologies
      Testing Automotive software
      Model Based design and testing
      Case Study :- ABS (Antilock Braking system), Electronic steering,X-by-Wire, auto park feature & more
      Project under expert guidance
      Extensive Hands-on sessions
      Mock Interviews & Suggestions
      100% Placement Assistance.

Faculty & Lab Facility:
      · Our trainers are experts with real-world experience
      · Highly equipped labs with all necessary software’s & hardware setups.

Eligibility Criteria
      · B.E/B.Tech/Diploma/ME/M.Tech (Mech. /Prod /Electronics / E&TC / Electrical / Instru)
      · There is no any entrance exam. You can enroll directly to our office.

Please feel free to contact us if have any queries.

Regards,
      BICARD
      Office No. 86-89, 5th Floor,
      ‘C’ Block, Shrinath Plaza,
      Dnyaneshwar Paduka Chowk,
      FC Road, Pune : 411 005.
      Ph: +91- 20-65002700.

• venkatesh says:

I am final year engineering student ,doing my specialization in electronics. i have great interest on embedded systems,i have started learning about embedded systems, i am getting so many doubts.with these doubts i am not able to proceed,so could you please clarify my doubts,
    1.house appliance fan is system or not? how?
    2.is embedded system is dedicated for single task?
    3.embedded system performs single task at a time?
    4.many people suggested me learn about micro controllers and some one said me both controllers and microprocessor combine called embedded systems?
    5.what is meant by embedded processor?is microprocessor belongs to that category?

• MANJUNATH says:

hi.. i am presently working in testing department in nokia. i am interested
    to go embedded system. what skills i need to develop..
    please guide me.

• HIMADRI BHATTACHARYYA says:

hai its me himadri from TRIPURA GOVT ENGG COLLEGE.ece 3rd year…i am working with avr and arduino microcontroller for the last 8 months.. some robots also made…i am very interested in making my career in embeded systems..but i am unknown of what is a product company and what is a consultant company.. please sujjest..and name some ggood training institutes of embedded system at mumbai..

• sameer says:

Hi, am presently working in IT company,i want to make a switch in my career to embedded system. is it possible.?

• jojo says:

@Sameer, It depends highly on your skill sets in C programming, sound knowledge in concepts of electronics etc. If you are that passionate about embedded systems, then I think, you may not worry much about the level of knowledge now. You can learn a lot on the job! Sound knowledge in C programming is an essential to crack the job interview.

• sekar k g says:

I am B.E computer science 2009 passed out but am having arrears working with NON-IT now i cleared all, now i want to switch over to software industry. can i get any opportitunity then i take embedded systems as a career. which platform like(.Net,java or some other) will make good career

• sri says:

i’m a B.E ECE graduate.. i placed in a tire three company in java platform but still i didn’t get call from that company and i also placed in another company in field of embedded systems.. which one is best for ECE student.. please reply as soon as possible

• jojo says:

Depends highly on your interests! Since you learned ECE, it doesnt mean you have to work on some electronics companies. If you have passion for coding, software companies are much better to enhance your skills. Embedded Systems career also have great opportunities for becoming a good programmer in C,assembly languages etc. You choose the job profile based on the “learning experience” it can offer you.

• SAM says:

Hello JOJO as i am going to join this course in Bangalore and I am very much confused where to join many institutes are making money with desperate job seekers. pls suggest me the best institute in bangalore in terms of placement faculty infrastructure lab etc.. pls do help me my id is sambenny90@gmail.com

• SAM says:

Hello JOJO first of all my gratitude for u towards the splendid work u did, i am a recent graduate planning to do embedded system course , and about me i am not so good in programming language like C. i need career counsel whether should i start r not ? if started, what will be my role if i join a company? I have planned to join VECTOR instiyute in banglore is it worthy to join ?

• jojo says:

Hello Sam,
      Dont much worry about programming skills. It is something you can master with experience. The only way to learn programming is by writing more and more programs. You may buy a good book on C (E.Balaguruswamys books are good) and start learning! that’s it! Start learning now!

• hardik gohil says:

hello

I Hardik Gohil completed M-tech in Embedded System design collaboration with C-DAC,pune.

Now,i am in search of job.can you give me some tips,presently i am searching in hyderabad.

which city has more number of jobs in Embedded systems.

• Dhiraj Kumar Singh says:

As you(JOJO)mentioned earlier that there are different training centers for Embedded system course. Sir, I want to Know some good name of such Institutes, Actually you gave the Name of Cities like Bengaluru, Chennai, Pune etc. Actually I am from West Bengal, Whenever i searched about these type institutes, Most of them have complaint against their training facility and Placements too on Consumercomplaints.com. Please suggest me few good institutes which have good facility of training with placements.
    you can mail me on my personal mail ID dhirajkumarsingh1946@gmail.com .
    I shall be highly thankful to you.

• jojo says:

Hello Dhiraj,

I dont have much idea about courses in West Bengal. Rakesh will be of a help for you. Try contacting him through his email rakeshbute@gmail.com

Note: In my opinion dont much worry about one or two negative opinions in consumer complaint websites. In most cases, they will be fake. In some other cases it can be a “one in a hundred failure” of the institute.

• Vinay says:

I am placed in wipro VLSI, but due to lack of projects they are shifting us to embedded systems domain. Will it be good to shifted or wait for vlsi joining date. ?? I dont know about wipro’s embedded domain. So please help me out. should i prefer embedded over vlsi or continue with vlsi. I am a BE (E&C) graduate and also have diploma in E&C before BE.

• jojo says:

I think Wipros embedded division is good enough for starting career in “Embedded Systems”. If you dont have any other offers from other companies (in VLSI domain), I would say “Go Ahead”! The choice is yours!

• Jyoti Ranjan Pradhan says:

I am currently working in Mahindra satyam.I just completed my freshers training in JAVA domain here.Now i m getting a chance of working in embeded system in Mahindra Satyam.But as per my knowledge the infrastructure in embeded in my company is not so well.

So should i join embeded system or just wait to get a project in JAVA.

my branch in B.tech is Electronics and Telecommunicion.

• Shaukat says:

You should join robotics, embeded system, institute .and you will get solution of your problem.

• akshara says:

This is very help full for me.

• Shrihari says:

sir, thanks for such guidance. I am preparing for design of embedded system and i want to make carrier in that, so give me more guidance about can i improve myself to become an company designer engg.

• Tamilmani says:

I am studing B.E(ECE) third year i will interest to study embedded sys. In microproccer&microcontroller

• shubham says:

i love electronics and this post made me confident in building my career in this stream.

• Libin says:

Gud post…

• meena says:

thank you very much…may i know other product based companies..?

• Santhosh says:

Thanku .., Thanku sooo much..,

• Santhosh says:

Sir., the information u have provided is very much useful..
    And I need a suggestion sir.. My aim is to establish a manufacturing
    Company . Now I was in b-tech final year (ece)., can u suggest me a best way
    to acheive my goal…

• jojo says:

@Santosh

I am not that experienced enough to give an authentic comment about – “how to start a manufacturing company in electronics industry”. I am still in learning mode about many things! You may take up a job initially, so that you can learn about the industry very well. For an inspiration – you may read this article :)http://circuitstoday.info/6

• pranitha says:

thanks

• karthik raja says:

Thanks for explanation….. u told do 3-6 months course after graduation… im in india (tamil nadu)…where can i do in best way?

• siri says:

I am engineering 3rd year student, EC branch , Till now I am just having a basic idea about transistors and of mosfets nothing, we are having microcontrollers the following semester, I am sure of not getting a practical knowledge in our college ,but can have a theorical one through library, can you suggest what are the topics i can cover along with microcontrollers or in microcontrollers in these 3 months? And what about the software, is embedded c similar to c ?

• Murali says:

You just goto popular tutorial based website on internet for

microcontrollers i.e.., http://extremeelectronics.co.in/ there

described a how to start with microcontroller(AVR,PIC) (From zero

knowledge) for a starter in tutorial section.

Difference between Embedded C and C is: C uses the resources of computer system i.e.., RAM,Input/Output,C.P.U whreas Embedded C uses the in-built resources of microcontroller i.e..,RAM,C.P.U,I/O…

For C go through yashwanth kanetkar’s LET US C,LET US C

SOLLUTIONS .Before going to microcontroller you need to learn C well.

extraordinary C skills are required for Embedded Systems.

• Anish says:

@Jojo: Dude, nice article.

@Abdul: You can easily guess companies in embedded domain. For example, when you analyse their products. Other more reputed comanies I can remember just now are (example of products given in braces) – LG (cellphone, washingmachine etc), Philips(medical electronics like gamma camera etc) , Motorola(cellphone), Fujitsu General(airconditioner), Daikin (airconditioner), Hitachi, Nokia, Sony etc

@nitin: Kindly avoid comments in hindi, Everyone cant understand hindi.

• Thoufeeq says:

I have seen in many job portal , for embedded system they need experience …. but what can i do as a fresher….

• nitin says:

there is no job opening in embedded hardware in pune mumbai. only embedded software related jobs are available…. software me jana hai to yahi kyu? other bhi bahut options hai !!!! embedded software engg fresher salaty start from 8,000RS to 10,000RS…to matlab nahi banta ye karke!!!!!!

• Ganesh says:

Thank you very much for giving a such information….

• V. Hari Hara Prasd says:

come one step ahead and tell what consulting companies do and what product based companies do. Also, tell what audio visual, toys and many many micro controller based companies do with these embedded systems. Also, tell what to know about embedding the C or java scripts into the electronic memories, and how. Tell also how much a starter in these areas get. That may be something good about your discussion of career in embedded systems. Go ahead and all the best to all your readers. embedding software is the bridge between electronics and software industries.

• jojo says:

@ Hari Hara Prasad – Infact it is quiet complex! It is really difficult to explain all these in a single article. I will try my best to come up with useful article for students (career oriented).

• Abdul says:

Give some more details about the embedded companies list

• Uday says:

Nice Explanation. I’m interested in Embedded Systems as my career. But I have no idea about which institute to join after my graduation. Please provide me detailed information.
    Thanks in advance.

• jojo says:

@Uday – I think there are really good institutes in Bangalore and Hyderabad. Pune and Mumbai are also good option. I cant name them individually! You do a good research. Ask previous students and seniors – they will guide you.

• Sameer Gupta says:

It,s really a superb articles on embedded system.

• Thanks

Its an Awesome Explanation towards guiding me about my career !!!

What I Liked most in this post is Last few Lines -

“So be aware of your first job – what you learn there will decide the way your career is headed”

• Yogesh Kumar says:

Very good reference & guidence .But how to become an entrepreneur in emdedded & control engineering ?? Please tell me sir..

• jojo says:

@Yogesh – How to become an entrepreneur is a different question. “Embedded Systems” is more like a knowledge industry. You need to learn things from your job. Get involved with this industry – read great websites, magazines etc. You must go and attend industry conferences . I think you are from India – here is an Indian conference happening soon – http://www.esc-india.com/index.asp. Meet people – talk to people. You will get data and insights. Keep learning and at one point you will reach a stage – where you will have an idea to develop a business around it. Keep one thing in mind – the sole purpose of business and entrepreneurship is about “Making Profit” and sharing the profit with the company founders/investors and it’s employees. Its a different road. My suggestion is join a JOB first. Learn how things are working and then JUMP :)

• Arturo says:

@yogesh, the way to becoming an entreprenuer is not, in my opinion, going to happen by gaining a job. It was my intention to become one all my life, and getting a job forced me into an employee mentality. That is deadly to becoming an entrepreneur. The way to become an entreprenuer is to look for a solution to a human need and solve it. Dont box yourself into embedded when doing so, this will only add an artificial constraint on your thinking. Read these essays: http://paulgraham.com/articles.html Good Luck!