Mains Operated LED Circuit

This is a modified version of the circuit Super bright LED Night Light published here. This circuit is submitted by Mr. Seetharaman and its full credit goes to him.

This is the circuit of a well tried and reliable 230 Volt AC mains operated 24 LEDs (super bright 50mA LEDs). While practically compare the brightness between this circuit and 11watts tube, the LED light is much better. The layout is made in such a way, you get uniform illumination. A photograph of the cicuit is also given in this post.

585 thoughts on “Mains Operated LED Circuit

1. Jukka

Hi fellows,

I’m about to use a high power (50W) led module with specifications: Input voltage 32-26 volts, forward current 1750mA. My mains is 230VAC, 50Hz.

Help in calculating the component values would be greatly appreciated:)

2. Hirba

how to calculate output voltage of ac capacitor which formula used for calculating output voltage of ac capacitor

3. Nilesh Narodia

I want to make flood light with 100 led ofForward Voltage (V) : 3.0 ~ 3.2 and Reverse Current (uA) : <= 301
    How type circuit shoud me for me?

4. M.Usman

Hi.
    i have a 3W LED combination (total 6 LEDs 3 series/ 2 parallel combination).
    its constant current driver voltage, current ratings are (AC i/p 220V 20mA 4W) and (DC out 9V 250mA 2.25W)
    i want to glow this LED by my own circuit.
    I tried to use 1mega ohm R with 0.60 uF C, R2 is 1K ohm 2W. at the output of rectifier i attached LED. i have brightness issues i.e getting aprox 225 Lumens at half foot length and i require aprox 1000 to 1500Lm.
    kindly help me to sort out this problem as im getting 1500lm at constant current drive.

5. Colin Mitchell

“hi i want to glow more than 500 white led… is 1.2uf is enough..
    wat r the changes in components.

Seetharaman
    March 26, 2014 at 3:37 am

Hi you have to use 5 strings of 100 leds

You cannot put more than 25 – 30 LEDs in a string

6. Colin Mitchell

“Sir I wish to create serial lights for Diwali. Using the calculation shown I’ve calculated the required. Please check if the below specifications would be okay with yours above circuit for 220volts supply.
    1) 5mm 20mA 3.2v x 40 white leds
    Resistor 470 k
    Other resistors of 100 ohms
    1st Capacitor 0.47 mF 400volts
    2nd Capacitor 10 Mf 400 volts”

These values are correct

7. sunil p.kalamkar

sir, i tried 25 led series connection in which i found that when dc side accidently open & close it damages all led , why this happen ? any solution for that ?

• Eigo

I’ll try to explain in simple way, it happens like that because when you disconnect LEDs, that current that is let through mains 230V capacitor doesn’t get used and thus it charges dc side to mains voltage level, when you again connect LEDs this high voltage damages them.
      Better don’t disconnect it in this way and if it still happens then you could use a fuse just after the DC capacitor.

8. sree

is it compulsory to put 470K resistance. can i reduce the value what will it happens or is it unsafe to change.

and can i use 1000uF 100v instead of 10uF 160V.

• Eigio

In my project I didn’t use neither 470k resistor nor 100 ohm resistor and it works already for a year, as far as I understand they are for protection of LEDs when capacitor short circuits or opens.
      The bigger capacitor you will use in DC side the smoother light will be, less flickering, I use big capacitor because I film under that light and on camera it’s quite visible when light intensity changes due to 50Hz mains frequency.

9. sree

i have done this with 1W resistance is it any problem to do.
    and how many power LED can be added to this in how many watts