The Use of Solar-Powered LED Lamps
The need for installing solar-powered LED bulb is explained in this article. The advantages and components needed for installation is also explained.
Today, most of the non-renewable energy is wasted in electricity. Though there are renewable resources available for the generation of electricity, they are pretty costly in terms of installment.
The use of solar-powered LED lamps can provide lighting to millions who do not even have the basic electricity in their homes. Here are some of the basic features of an LED lamp.
1. The basic installation price of such a light is cheap, when compared to the electricity bills per month. The solar panel and the LED lamp are the only components required for this process.
2. The energy is renewable. That is the lost energy can easily be replaced from an infinite power source – the sun.
3. The power can be maintained even when there is no sunlight. That is, the light glows even if the sun goes down. This is done by storing the power on to a battery. Such a lighting system will give great performance if the solar panel and the battery are sized for the period of longest nights, shortest days and cloudiest weather. All these factors occur at the same time each year.
4. Fluorescent light bulbs are bulkier and fragile when compared to LED bulbs. Though they provide almost the same efficiency as that of an LED bulb, the projected light from a fluorescent bulb is very poor. They project light differently in different directions. They provide a particular contrast in front of the lamp, and another contrast at 180 degrees to the plane of the lamp. Though, a reflector can reflect the light downwards, the efficiency costs become higher. If the lamp is controlled to provide better lighting almost 30% or more of the light will be lost. For providing better lighting, the loss may hike up to 50%.
5. As a single LED may not be able to provide the required lighting, multiple LED installations may be required to compensate for the shadows produced. Even then, 90% of the light will be more than enough for providing an ambient presence and 70% of it will be enough for providing task lighting. When compared with a fluorescent light, the same amount of brightness produced by an LED light will produce lesser lumen’s per watt. A fluorescent bulb produces almost 3/4th power more than an LED bulb.
6. Conventional lighting methods cannot be used for programmability and fine tuning. This is where LED lamps find its main advantage. The exact point at which more light is needed can be easily tuned for LED lights. Even the timing can be adjusted as to when to start and stop such a tuning. Due to this process, the solar panel size and the battery capacity can be easilyÂ reduced to almost 50%. Due to this the life of the LED can also be increased.
7. The LED battery can provide better efficiency and will live longer when used at cold temperatures. This brings advantages over other types of lamps whose performance and lifetime drops in colder climates – such as DC fluorescents. An LED lamp will have a life span of 10 times more than that of a DC florescent lamp.
The above points easily prove that solar powered LED lights are far better than the conventional ones. So start using a Solar Powered LED Lamp and reduce the use of electricity.