Voltage booster circuit
Here is a simple circuit for boosting 12 V DC to 24 V DC .The circuit is designed straight forward and uses few components.With few modifications the circuit can be used to boost any voltages.
The transistor Q1 and Q2 (D1616) essentially drives the primary of the transformer.The diodes rectifies the output of transformer to obtain a 24V DC at the output load(here a fan).The capacitors filter away noise and harmonics away from the output.
Circuit diagram with Parts List.
- The component values are not very specific here.We can use any NPN power transistors like D1616,2N 3055,C2236,SL 100 etc for Q1 and Q2.
- The transformer can be any center tapped 5A transformer with a 7:1 winding ratio.
- The diodes can be 1N 914 ones.
- In fact you can easily assemble the circuit from the components in your electronics junk box.
- By experimenting on the tranformer winding you can get different boost ratios.
- For high current (around 5A) games use 2N 3055 transistor or more powerful Darlington pairs for Q1 and Q2.