Automatic LED Emergency Light

LED Emergency Light

We have developed three circuits under Automatic LED Emergency Light. Two of them are designed by Mr. Seetharaman, a very valuable and important contributor of this website. We have listed the circuits here for your ease of  reading. If you have any doubts; please comment with circuit name or circuit number.

1. Simple Emergency Light using LED

2. Automatic Emergency Light using LM317 IC

3. Modified Version of Automatic LED Emergency Lamp using LM 317

1. Simple Emergency Light Circuit

This is one of the most cost effective (cheap) and simple emergency light circuit developed for CircuitsToday – This is an automatic emergency lamp with day light sensing, means it senses darkness/night and turns ON automatically. Similarly it senses day light and turns OFF automatically.

A simple emergency lamp which does not require any special equipment; even a multimeter to assemble and use. Any individual who can do a good quality soldering must be able to build this circuit successfully. This can be easily accommodated in the defunct two 6 watt tube National Emergency Lamp or any PL tube type emergency lamp. The difference will be in the working; it will work non stop for more than 8 hours. Deep discharge is taken care by the LED characteristic and over charge protection is taken care by the fixed voltage regulator.This uses a simple 3Pin fixed regulator which has a built in current limiting circuit. The only required adjustment is the preset which has to be set to ensure the LEDs just light up (it should be left at that position). The 5mm LDR is just mounted on top of the emergency light as shown in the photograph. LDR is used to avoid it lighting up during day time or when the room lights are ON. 2 LEDs are used in series; the dropping resistance is avoided and 2 LEDs light up with current that is required for a single LED,  by which energy is saved to a great extent.

Note: This circuit is developed by Mr.Seetharaman for readers of CircuitsToday. This particular circuit has been kept so simple for people who has limited access to components or in other words this is an emergency light that you can build with minimum components. In addition to circuit diagram, He has shared photographs of the prototype he made in National emergency light and a PCB design.

Simple Emergency Light Circuit Diagram:

simple emergency light

Photographs of prototype made in National Emergency Light:

Emergency Light Circuit PCB Design:

PCB Design and Diagram of Automatic Emergency Lamp

PCB Design

2. Automatic LED Emergency Light

NOTE: Considering the doubts raised by many of our valuable readers in our Comments section, this circuit has been modified by Mr.Seetharaman, one of our valuable contributors. You can see his modified circuit here: Automatic LED Emergency Light Modified.

Description:

This is the circuit diagram of a low cost emergency light based on white LED.The white LED provide very bright light which turns on when the mains supply is not there.The circuit has an automatic charger which stops charging when the battery is fully charged.

The IC LM 317 produces a regulated 7 V for the charging of Battery.Transistor BD 140 drives the out put.Transistor BC 548 and Zener diode controls the charging of the battery.

Tips:

It is always better to connect a heat sink with BD 140.Before using the circuit out put of LM317 must be set to 7V by adjusting the potentiometer.

Automatic LED Emergency Circuit Diagram:

Automatic led emergency lightNote: R3 to R14 are all 100 ohms

We have more interesting Lighting circuits for you,please take a look:

1. LED Ramping CircuitAn interesting LED application with help of a ramping circuit.

2. Flashing LED UnitA circuit application to flash many LED’s.

3. Puff to OFF LED circuitA simple,hobby and more of a fun circuit where you can turn OFF an LED with a puff.

4. Street Light CircuitWant to build a street light application? This is the one you are looking for.

5. Light Activated SwitchA circuit application to make a switch activated when light falls upon (and vice versa).

If you are interested in knowing How an LED works ? Take a look at our article:- How an LED Works

a simple emergency lamp no need for any special equipment even a multimeter to assemble and use this. Any individual who can do a good quality soldering can build this successfully. This can be easily accommodated in the defunct two 6 watt tube National Emergency Lamp or any PL tube type emergency lamp. The difference will be it will work non stop for more than 8 hours. Deep discharge is taken care by the LED characteristic and over charge protection is taken care by the fixed voltage regulator.

This uses a simple 3Pin fixed regulator which has a built in current limiting circuit. The only required adjustment is the preset which has to be set to ensure the LEDs just light up (it should be left at that position). The 5mm LDR is just mounted on top of the emergency light as shown in the photograph. LDR is used to avoid it lighting up during day time or when the room lights are on. 2 LEDs are used in series the dropping resistance is avoided and 2 LEDs light up with current by by a single LED,  by which energy is saved to a great extent.
Hope this project will be acceptable to most of our readers, who has minimum instruments.
I am attaching the photos of my prototype in an National emergency light and also the PCB design.

303 Responses to “Automatic LED Emergency Light”

• Jose says:

hi. I have a small problem with endurance of 16 ohmis 5 w do not get it at the local electronics store. I wanted to know if there is any equivalent. thank you very much. Jose

• John Barua says:

Sir I need your advice at present I have an UPS which is no more in used for the Pc cos ever one in the house have got laptops, the UPS I want to used as an emergency light pls advice me as how many LED are require dim i for the 12v UPS and where can I get them or could you give me a circuit diagram where I can build it. It should be bright as the tube light and last for 4 to 6 hrs with the UPS my contact no 9764848146 Goa
    Regard John

• vishnu vm says:

Sir. can I use five 1watts led in this circuit

• Hi, the Automatic LED Emergency Circuit Diagram is auto charge (transistor LM317) circuit battery 6volt. i don’t how long it’s full (6,7 volt). that’s mean – when low power under 6volt, and (I) charge begin supply to battery.thanks

• Adnan says:

Dear Sir,
    I m working on the circuit 1 and I dont have much knowledge about it so can you please explain me the procedure, gladly i want to say your contribution towards this field and helping to beginners who are not very well known about circuits . Thank you …..
    Awaiting for your reply

The Emergency light is a simple one with day light sensor also. The charger circuit consists of a 7808 fixed voltage regulator. The auto function is taken care by MOSFET (the day light or with other light sources you do not require this light) hence an LDR(light dependent resistance) is used to sense the ambient light and to switch of the light. Hope this explanation will do.

• Oո voit direct que vous cοnnaissez superbement bien ce sujet

• Dipankar says:

Is the readymade PCB of the Auotmatic LED emergency light available for purchase in circuitstoday. If available, kindly help as to how to purchase the PCB?

• sarath says:

Sir,how can i modify this circuit without LDR

Remove two 1K resistaces, BC548B and LDR. no other component need be removed. The auto off of emergency light, during external light availability will be lost.

• Kiran Pardeshi says:

Dear Seetaraman Sir,

Please provide me 12v LED emergency light. Also same LED light should be used on 230VAC.

• kartik says:

seetharaman sir can u pls provide us with the circuit diagram of solar led street light with automatic intensity control.

• Anirban says:

can tell me the name of software by which I can develop any electrobic circuit and abive circuit,before making it in hardware,pls it is urgent,& if possible then give me the download link,

• Ademola oworu says:

I like circuit today

• madhu says:

Dear Sir,
    I am working as an electronics engineer.
    I am interested in charging light concept.
    Do you have pcbs and components ready for assemble?
    at what cost?
    I am staying at hyd.

• LED Emergency Light simple Emergency Light Circuit Diagram shown in photo

PCB & All component is available from you please sent cost if possible send sample to me for trial.

Makwana B. S.

CSMCRI, Bhavnagara, Gujarat

• dipa dey says:

dear sir
    i am final year student.in our final year we project simple emergency lighting system with using(a transformer 230 to 6v,1 thyristor,3 resistance,1 capacitor,3 diode,1 lamp,1 battery ).we could not find any information about this,so sir give me some information about this.please,please sir.please mail me some information about this.

• deekshitha says:

good evening… can i do this circuit on ‘Bread Board’ (small presentation purpose)

• ahmed mokhtar ahmed el sonbaty says:

I am retired electronic engineer,,,and have my special activities in electronic lightings,,,,I need the available circuits in lighting from battery,,,,12 volts,,,please feed me by any avaialable circuits,,,,for the two lamps,,,(20 watts&40 watts),,,,GOD bless you my brother

• zeyede seifu says:

I’m Intrested to do project on automatic emergency LED light I need ahelp

• rock says:

• rock says:

hi Seetharaman, can i use a 2k on VR1? 2.2k is not available in my area. Please reply.

• Krishna chaurasia says:

Hi…
    Sir ..
    My name is krishna and i want to do project about SMOKE DETECTOR SO Plz you send component list and also curcuit diagram along with simplied.
    THANKS

• shaji says:

HI,
    instead of 6 vdc circuit, do you have 12v circuit?. It is for 12 vdc LED strip get on when power is fail. I have already 12 vdc 9 amps battery and led strips with me.

with regards
    shaji dominic

Hi Shaji you can use the thyrister battery charger appeared earlier in our column. which will be best suited for you. any 14 volt regulated limited to 2 Amp current can be used.

• shaji says:

can I get the circuit board of automatic led emergency light that is published i n circuit today.com. Can i get a circuit to drive 4 led light of 4 watts with 12 vdc to light a home.(16 watts circuit)

with regard
    shaji dominic

• jojo says:

Hello Shaji,

At present we don’t provide circuit board of any of our circuits. We dont have the dedicated resources to implement this as a service. We will definitely consider this in future.

Jojo

• syed.s says:

Dear seetharaman,
    I need your help.Pls clarify my doubt i have one V guard stabilizer faulty,output is not come.Inside the stabilizer fixed one Transformer and PCB only.How to find the problem.inside the PCB using TIP122 & LM358 IC. pls reply.

• siva says:

sir we reqired 10w 12w 15w 18w 22wled drives ple conncts me

siva

• rajesh says:

sir i want to use 18 leds in your ckt plz what are the changes required plz its immediate